When it's hot outside nobody really wants to slather a heavy cream on their skin, right? Like our wardrobes, a summer skincare routine should be lighter.
Please don't stop moisturizing just because temperatures are rising though. Consider a moisturizing combo to simplify your Summer regimen. A lightweight Moisturizer/Sunscreen will help keep your skin protected and hydrated without weighing heavy on your beautiful skin.
1. Cleanse - No need for a cream type cleanser in the Summer. Opt for a gel or foam type instead.
2. Day Serum with Vitamin C - Antioxidants are recommended to provide extra protection against the strong summer sun and to protect against free radical damage. Look for a serum that contains high levels of Vitamin C.
3. Moisturizer/SPF Combo - SPF50 is ideal and using a combination moisturizer and SPF keeps your routine simple.
1. Cleanse - Most important time to cleanse your skin is at night. I can't stress enough how important it is to cleanse your skin every single night! Going to bed with makeup and debris from the day results in congested skin, blackheads, and causes your skin to look dull and yes, over time, ages you.
More reasons to cleanse every night:
2. Night Serum with Retinol - while you're sleeping let retinol work its magic to increase cell turnover, build collagen, improve discoloration, address fine lines and resurface skin by replenishing Vitamin A.
3. Night Cream - During the warmer months, a lightweight cream or face oil is ideal. Look for creams that are antioxidant-rich and hydrate without weighing heavy on your skin.
4. Eye Cream or Gel - repair, nourish, and protect the delicate skin surrounding the eyes. Be sure to wear sunglasses all-day-long to keep the squint lines around your eyes to a minimum.
Give yourself bonus points if you...Exfoliate! While it's not necessary to exfoliate on a daily basis (I opt for every other day), a great peel/polish is absolutely a must during the summer. The heat causes us to produce more oils. Sweat and debris from the day must come off! Banish blackheads and whisk-away whiteheads with a gentle yet effective exfoliant and keep your pores healthy and happy-looking.
Keep your toner, moisturizers, and eye gels in the refrigerator this time of year. A chilled moisturizer or eye gel will calm and soothe hot, tired, sensitive skin and keep you feeling cool as the weather warms up.
Ingredients to look for in your summer skincare -
Peptides - are short chains of amino acids that act as building blocks of proteins your skin needs! Proteins such as collagen, elastin and keratin are the foundations of your skin and are responsible for skins texture, strength, and resilience.
Without peptides our skin is less resilient and can lose firmness, resulting in the appearance of wrinkles and saggy looking skin.
Botanical Hyaluronic Acid - Our bodies produce Hyaluronic Acid naturally but our ability to produce HA declines with age, leading to dryness and fine lines.
Hyaluronic Acid is a humectant, which means it grabs moisture from the air and holds it in the epidermis, keeping the skin plump, firm, and glowing.
Antioxidants such a Vitamin C
Ingredients to avoid in your summer skincare -
DMDM Hydantoin & Urea (Imidazolidinyl)- Preservatives that often release formaldehyde which may cause joint pain, skin allergies, headaches, and loss of sleep.
Phthalates - Chemicals used to increase flexibility and strength of plastics, and not often listed among the ingredients on products.
Usually found in cosmetics such as fragrance oils and listed under the term “fragrance"
Mineral Oil - A petroleum by-product that coats the skin like plastic, clogging its pores. It's harmful because it interferes with the skin’s ability to eliminate toxins, therefore increasing the likelihood of acne and other disorders.
Usually found in creams, lotions, ointments, and cosmetics.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Collagen is a group of proteins found naturally in our body, mostly in the connective tissues. Interestingly,
Up until the late 1990’s, the only way of deriving Hyaluronic Acid was to get it from animal based sources, such as rooster combs. For obvious reasons, this is less than ideal.
4th of July, 2020 - We may not have the organized 4th of July shows we typically do in many parts of the country. But...
You can be sure we'll see and hear the illegal fireworks. Here in Southern California, the fireworks have already started. While many of us enjoy the effects and sounds of fireworks, most of the time our pets do not.