As temperatures drop, heaters clank on, winds whip up, and the battle for healthy skin begins. Hormonal changes wreak havoc on our skin. Dry Winter air reduces the thin layer of oil that provides moisture to the skin, flaring itchy and painful conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and severely dry skin.
6 tips to soothe away your dry skin:
1. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. We are less likely to drink as much water during the winter because we don't perspire as much. Make a conscience decision to add more water to your diet.
Water plays a vital role in digestion, blood circulation, absorption of nutrients and the elimination of toxins. It's important to the function of every organ in your body, including the skin. Just like all other organs, the skin is made up of cells that require water to function. When your skin cells aren't sufficiently hydrated, the appearance of your skin suffers, making you look older than your years.
2. Apply moisturizer while your skin is slightly damp. After stepping out of the shower, gently pat your skin, mostly dry. Apply your moisturizer, while skin is damp, allowing it to lock in the moisture from the shower.
3. Dry, white flakes, particularly on the legs? Try using a light body oil first, right after showering, and then apply your body cream. Follow this a routine for a month, and you should be able to switch back to just a body cream or lotion.
4. Don't linger in a hot shower. Hot water increases the loss of natural oils from the skin and worsens skin dryness. The shower should be in warm rather than hot water. Keep shower short too.
5. Use a mild non-soap skin cleanser. Harsh soaps remove the oils from the surface of the skin and dry it out. Watch your labels and avoid chemical laden cleansers. Be sure to avoid anti-bacterial!
6. Switch to a heavier moisturizer during the Winter - Use a cream versus a lotion type moisturizer during cold, dry months.
We recommend one of our richer moisturizers, perfect for dry Winter skin; Elevant and Opulent. Both hydrate at a cellular level, and protect your beautiful skin from the ravages of Winter.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
4th of July, 2020 - We may not have the organized 4th of July shows we typically do in many parts of the country. But...
You can be sure we'll see and hear the illegal fireworks. Here in Southern California, the fireworks have already started. While many of us enjoy the effects and sounds of fireworks, most of the time our pets do not.
So, you made or bought your own face mask and have been diligently wearing it. Now, out of the blue, you're experiencing breakouts in strange new places on your face.
You're likely dealing with