What is a facial and what does it do?
A facial is a multi-step skin treatment that cleanses, exfoliates, and nourishes the skin. It can help to improve the appearance of your skin by reducing wrinkles, age spots, and acne. It can also help to hydrate your skin and make it look more radiant and youthful.
I'll share my at-home facial routine that you can try with your own products or ours.
1. Set the mood
This is YOUR time. Play some soft music, such as the sounds of the ocean or nature. Diffuse an essential oil.Calm is my recommendation. If you don't know what a diffuser is and/or how essential oils work in your body, read my blog here.
The first step of any facial is to cleanse your skin thoroughly to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. This will help to prepare your skin for the other steps of the facial.
At a salon/spa, typically an esthetician would use a cool air steamer to open pores and make extractions easier. You can do something similar at home with a pot of steamy water, but I prefer to use a masque and exfoliant to accomplish the same thing -- pore cleansing-- but at a deeper level. I do not recommend doing extractions at home. Save this step for the professionals.
3. Masque/Exfoliate -
Proper exfoliation is crucial because it removes the barrier of dead skin cells clogging the skin and uncovers fresh new cells below. This opens the way for anti-aging serums and moisturizing products to penetrate more deeply into the skin, making them more effective.
To use a mask and exfoliator:
- Apply a thick layer of mask to your face, avoiding the eye area.
- Let the mask sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Apply a small amount of exfoliator to your fingertips.
- Gently massage the exfoliator into your skin in a circular motion.
- Rinse the exfoliator off with warm water.
You can also apply cucumber slices to your eyes to help reduce puffiness. However, cucumbers do not actually take puffiness away. They feel great though! Recommendations: Radiance Purifying Masque, Renew Micro Peel Polish.
Without a doubt, the most effective part of your facial. A serum is a skincare product you apply to your skin after cleansing but before moisturizing with the intent of delivering powerful ingredients directly into the skin.
A serum is a concentrated product that delivers active ingredients to the skin. Serums can be used to target specific skin concerns, such as fine lines, skin tone,
and age spots. Recommendation: Platinum High Potency Vitamin C Serum.
To apply a serum:
- Apply a few drops of serum to your fingertips.
- Gently massage the serum into your skin in a upward motion.
- Apply the serum to your face, neck, and décolletage.
- Let the serum rest on your skin for 1-2 minutes before applying a moisturizer.
5. Apply Face Oil or Moisturizer
More and more women are realizing the importance of a facial oil. Oil blends are in vogue today for a reason...they work!
A facial oil can help to hydrate, nourish, and protect your skin. It can also help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
There is a common misconception that oil will clog your skin and make you break out, this is simply NOT true. A properly formulated face oil will do just the opposite and leave your skin nourished and glowing. Use only 4-5 drops on face and neck. Recommendation: Your Own Custom Blend Facial Oil
Giving yourself a spa-like facial at home is a great way to relax and pamper yourself. It is also a way to improve the appearance of your skin and boost your self-confidence.
By following the steps outlined here, you can give yourself a facial that will leave your skin feeling soft, smooth, and radiant.
Here are some additional tips for giving yourself a facial at home:
- Be patient and gentle. Don't over-exfoliate or over-massage your skin.
- Listen to your skin. If it feels irritated, stop what you're doing and take a break.
- Make sure you use products that are appropriate for your skin type.
- Be consistent. The more often you give yourself a facial, the better your results will be.
I hope this has helped you learn how to give yourself a spa-like facial at home. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.