What is a facial and what does it do?
A facial is essentially a multi-step skin treatment and one of the best ways to take care of your skin. A facial cleanses, exfoliates, and nourishes the skin, at a deeper level. A well-done facial at home promotes a clear, well-hydrated complexion and helps your skin look rejuvenated, brighter, and more youthful.
The relaxation your feel from your DIY facial at home is a bonus
I'm going to walk you through the facial I gave myself this past weekend to demonstrate how to do it at home. I'm using our PPI products to give you an idea of what type product to use and when.You can use what you have at home or give our products a try :-)
First: Set the mood. This is YOUR time. I gave myself a facial in the late afternoon when I was alone.
Spa music - Set the mood with relaxing music.
Products to have on hand:
- Facial Cleanser - Creme Fraiche Cleanser The first step of any facial is to cleanse the skin thoroughly. Be sure to rinse with lots of warm water, but not hot water. Using hot water can be drying to your skin, long term. Dry skin off thoroughly.
At a salon/spa, typically an esthetician would use a cool air steamer to open pores and make extractions easier. You can do something similar at home with a pot of steamy water, but I prefer to use a masque and exfoliant to accomplish the same thing -- pore cleansing-- but at a deeper level. I do not recommend doing extractions at home. Save this step for the professionals.
- Masque - Radiance Purifying Masque Apply a thick layer of masque to clean skin, avoiding the eye area. Be sure to include your neck. Let masque rest on skin 10-15 minutes. Lay down during this part and relax. You can apply cucumber slices to eyes too. Sadly, contrary to popular belief, cucumbers DON'T take puffiness away but DO feel cool and refreshing.
- Exfoliate - Renew Micro Polish/Peel Proper exfoliation is crucial because it removes the barrier of dead skin cells clogging the skin and uncovers fresh new cells below. This opens the way for anti-aging serums and moisturizing products to penetrate more deeply into the skin, making them more effective.
- Toner Tonique - It's important to use a toner that is Alcohol-free (drying). One of the virtues of toner is that it can minimize the appearance of pores. It also balances the skin's pH levels, restoring an acidic state so that skin is purified and better able to absorb moisture and other beneficial ingredients found in the serums and creams you'll apply next.
How to use: I prefer a misting type toner like ours because it delivers an extra dose of AHA's- the assistants to skin cell turnover.
- Perfect-aging Serum - Platinum High Potency Vitamin C Serum Without a doubt, the single most effective part of your facial. A serum is a skincare product you apply to your skin after cleansing but before moisturizing with the intent of delivering powerful ingredients directly into the skin. Serums are particularly well-suited to this task because they're made up of smaller molecules that can penetrate deeply into the skin and deliver a very high concentration of active ingredients. This makes them a great tool for targeting specific skincare concerns, like wrinkles.
The most crucial part of any facial or daily skincare routine--A great perfect-aging serum
How to Use: Apply to face, neck and decollete. Always let a serum rest on your skin 1-2 minutes before applying a face oil or moisturizer. I chose our Platinum High Potency C Serum for it's super high levels of Vitamin C.
- Facial oil - Your Own Beauty Blend More and more women are realizing the importance of a facial oil, especially when it delivers ingredients like, CBD, Vitamins A and C, in a blend that may include Camellia Oil, Squalane, and Rosehip, all know for their anti-aging properties.
Oil blends are in vogue today for a reason...they work! Whether it's an oil-based cleanser or a special perfect aging blend (like ours), While there is a common misconception that oil will clog your skin and make you break out, this is simply NOT true. A properly formulated face oil will do just the opposite and leave your skin nourished and glowing. Use only 4-5 drops on face and neck.
- Moisturizer - Flawless AHA Moisturizer - The last step in a facial is the moisturizer. It should serve to seal in the other wonderful products you've pampered yourself with.
I chose our Flawless AHA Moisturizer. Of all our moisturizers, it's always been my favorite because it's lightweight and absorbs well. If your skin is dry, you will want a richer, heavier cream.
Are you feeling relaxed yet? I promise your skin will look and feel fabulous after your DIY facial at home. Now, just sit back and enjoy your healthy glow.