Weak, split, peeling nails?
Healthy nails are strong and flexible. They are not easily cracked or broken. However, there are many things that can cause nails to become dry, weak, and prone to splitting, peeling, and breaking.
Repetitive hand washing and drying. Nails swell in water and become soft, so make sure your nails are thoroughly dry after washing. Water is the enemy to our nails. The more water you're in, nail polish lifts, nail enhancements lift, and weak nails get weaker. Consider wearing cotton lined gloves when doing dishes or gardening to protect your nails and cuticles.
- Removal of nail enhancements improperly. Picking off polish that's been on for a while can take some of your own nail with it, causing the nail to become weaker each time polish is not removed properly. Instead, use a nail polish remover that contains acetone and follow the directions carefully.
- Lack of hydration or dryness. Nail creams and oils can help to moisturize your nails and cuticles, making them stronger and less likely to split. Look for products that contain ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil, or primrose oil..
- Nutritional deficiencies: A lack of certain nutrients, such as biotin, iron, and zinc, can contribute to weak and brittle nails. Biotin is a B vitamin that is essential for healthy nails. Taking biotin supplements can help to improve the strength and appearance of your nails.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions, such as thyroid problems and psoriasis, can also cause nail problems
- Improper manicures and pedicures. Be very careful when choosing a nail professional. Improper removal of protective cuticle around your nails can damage your nail and leave you prone to infection. Acrylic or Hard Gel nail enhancements can damage the nails especially if removed (picked off) improperly.
When to seek your doctors advice:
If you get regular manicures with quality products, wear gloves when cleaning, never pick your polish/gels off, moisturize, and eat a healthy diet, but still your nails peel and split, schedule a visit with your doctor. They will look at your nails, review medical history and medications (a known cause of nail splitting and peeling) and run labs. This can give you a better idea of any possible deficiencies.
Read my blog for more suggestions on how to naturally strengthen your nails here.
It's very important to keep weak, split, peeling nails covered with nail polish. There are only a few truly good nail strengtheners and hardeners on the market. Our store carries the Nail Fitness Nail Strengthener, which is a popular choice for people with weak, peeling, or brittle nails.
Please read the many reviews from our customers on how Nail Fitness has worked for them. Here are but a few of the great reviews.
"Easy to apply, dried quickly, and very effective. Great product!" Linda N.